carried out by DIY enthusiast Andrew Reeves - Bredon House Hotel - cellars
converted in one weekend DIY by a father and two sons.
Real life fitting
photos in a cellar showing a Basement Conversion using the fastest Membrane
and Batten method.
here to see the Prices of Dampfix Kits
Project - in Malvern - basement conversion under an Hotel - seal walls
Here is a project that Kathy,
my wife, and I actually carried out with a friend, with the help of
his family and in exchange for a nice weekend away in Malvern.
Andrew and Sue had two barrel
vaulted cellars or basements under the carpark of their small Hotel
(Bredon House) and wanted to create a Utility Room in one and an Office
for Andrew in the other. The second Cellar extended into a small room
which also needed lining.
'battening' timbers fixed with screws into the plug heads to then line
with plasterboard. He also used Membrane on the floors which were then
covered in sheets of chipboard.
for Home Page
Andrew fitting plugs
with seals to the holes drilled
by his son
Sons one and two drilling
the end wall - note that you can see
enough through the material
to pick the best places to drill.
Fitting the plasterboard
to the curved sides - insulation can be
fitted between the battens.
The curved plasterboard roof
taking shape. The troops retired for
tea and biscuits frequently.
continues out into the room beyond the cellar,
end wall is below ground. Note the solid insulation.
One of the finished cellars
- the floor is chipboard in this one,
concrete screed in the other
(a Utility Room).
These Cellars have functioning
drains, so there was no need
to fit a sump
and pump system.
for Home Page
Products used in this Project:
Kontract membrane material
- plastic dimpled sheet on a roll. Easy to cut and trim.
Black Plugs - holes
moulded ready for No.10 self tapping screws
Plug Seals - slip
over plugs to seal faces to membrane
Double Sided Tape
- to join membrane, onto overlaps (about 75mm - 3 rows of dimples)
Floor option - just
lay chipboard flooring or screed directly onto the waterproof membrane
Plastering - plaster
with ordinary Bonding lightweight plaster
to visit the Membrane Shop for prices and ordering.
for Home Page
Damp | Plastering | Membrane
| Damp Meters | Anti-Mould
Returns Policy | Contact
01626 331351 F: 01626 331143
Use any of our Shopping
Pages to place goods in your Shopping Cart - they all use the same Shopping
to view your Shopping Cart
shopping by clicking on our Shop below.
OUR SHOPPING PAGE
Other Property Repair Systems
- how to use Boron based insecticides/fungicides to treat timber rots
and insect attack
- how to treat penetrating dampness in walls and plaster
- how to treat patio decks and yacht decks
- how to kill Dry Rot in buildings
- epoxy resins for repairing wood, concrete, brick and stone
- upgrade doors to 30 minutes fire resistance
- how to quickly repair joists and beams of any size
- our Home Site
- treat steel with Intumescent Paint to provide fire protection
- systems of repair, with step by step methods
- how to repair timber beams
- how to kill and prevent woodworm and death watch beetle
- all your questions and our answers about woodworm treatment DIY
Site written by: David
David Moore, B.A. (Hons.),
C.T.I.S., C.R.D.S. Technical Author